Congressional and Political Research Center Internships
The Office of Congressman Michael Guest of Mississippi’s 3rd Congressional District is partnering with Mississippi State University’s Mitchell Memorial Library to support two Congressional and Political Research Center Internships for the fall, 2020, academic semester. The internship will last 10 weeks and will require at least 10 hours of work per week.
Students from any academic major at the University who seek experience serving on a congressional staff while researching the history of the 3rd Congressional District in the archives of the Mitchell Memorial Library may apply. Interns will work virtually with archivists to process/transcribe materials from the papers of Congressman G. V. “Sonny” Montgomery, including his “Dateline Washington” Weekly Radio Address Audio Recordings. These five-minute audio recordings from 1991 to 1996 are located in the MSU Libraries’ online digital collections and cover topics such as the fall of the Soviet Union, the final years of the George H. W. Bush administration, and the first term of the Clinton administration. Interns will be responsible for transcribing 30 audio recordings each semester.
We seek applicants who have an interest in public policy and history as well as excellent writing and communication skills. The internship is intended to provide students with professional experience and to expand students’ networks for future opportunities in public service and leadership.
Key elements of the Congressional and Political Research Center Internship
• The internship is unpaid
• The internship experience will be noted on a student’s transcript
• Internships will last one semester
• Internships will require a minimum of 10 hours of work per week
• Interns will report to the Dean of the Library, and internship projects will be administered by Dr. Ryan Semmes, Associate Professor and Coordinator of the Congressional and Political Research Center
• Interns will work directly with 3rd Congressional District staffers, receiving firsthand experience in a congressional office
• Interns will be part of Congressman Guest’s staff and will have the opportunity to interact with him during the internship
• Congressional and Political Research Center Internships are open to all majors at Mississippi State University
• Students will apply through Congressman Guest’s office